2018 has been an amazing year for me. I learnt new things, built a few things, wrote a handful of blog posts and met some amazing devs in the community. But above all, I became a better dev by learning and reflecting on my mistakes throughout. Here's a quick list down of how 2018 turned out to be an amazing year for me.
Things I built in 2018
Things I wrote in 2018
- ✅ Start with OSS (have over 10 actively maintained projects now)
- ✅ Become an active contributor to a repo that’s not mine (became one of the top contributors)
- ✅ Create and publish a library that others find helpful (have 7 libs now with 130k+ downloads)
- ✅ Build a portfolio
- ✅ Hit 1k reps in Stack Overflow (2.4k currently)
- ✅ Hit 1k followers in dev.to (2.2k currently)
- ✅ Learn Docker, ELK stack, reverse proxy
- ⚠️ Hit 700 followers in twitter (695 now)
- ❌ Build a website that others find helpful
- ❌ Learn GraphQL, serverless, web components
- Started with OSS
- Quit my awesome job to take on a challenging role
- Moved to new country
- Started contributing more in Stack Overflow
- Started building and publishing libraries
- Started writing about the things I learn and the things I build
- Became a publisher in Hackernoon and Codeburst
- All my write ups together have been viewed over 250k times (100k+ DEV and 150k+ Medium)
- A few blog posts that I wrote got featured in other platforms and curations
- Found awesome people in the community (twitter and dev.to) and drew inspiration from them
Dev principles I picked up in 2018
I want to wrap up this post by highlighting a few dev principles I learnt and strictly adopted in my workflow in 2018.
- Code without tests is as good as no code at all
- No Abstraction > Wrong Abstraction
- Most optimization strategies you come up with will either result in premature-optimization or over-optimization. Optimize only when absolutely necessary.
- Have a broader vision of the problem/solution but break it down and build in small portions incrementally
- If you add a todo to improve later, you’ll never get back to it. So, do it now.
🥂 To another wonderful year full of opportunities and amazing people 🥂